Armchair (or couch or propped up on a pillow or whatever) philosophy
Hey Tumblr! I’m in the early stages of pulling together a sort of syllabus for a “Philosophy on TV” reading group. We’re going to watch an episode or two of TV a month, read a complementary philosophical text, and discuss.
However, I’m as bad at pairing tv and philosophy as I am at wine and cheese, so I need your help. Does anyone have any tv/philosophy resources they know of or particular ideas of a show that challenges or supports a philosopher or school of thought?
Here are some examples we might include (though they’re pretty uninspired):
- "Adventure Time" and Nietzche’s ubermensch
- "Orange is the New Black" and Foucault’s panopticon
- "The Wire" and the morality of Plato’s Republic
- "It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and nihilism
- "True Detective" and Ligotti